Why our treatment program is psych based
Approximately 75% to 80% of the people we treat at Addiction Recovery Network have a co-occurring disorder: a mental health or behavioral health issue simultaneous with their addiction. We believe that all issues, including one’s addiction, must be addressed simultaneously. This is why we have full-time, on-site psych workers, including addiction medicine specialists, as part of our extensive team. We treat a very broad spectrum of mental health issues as part of our approach to treating each person.
Our Psychological Approach
At Addiction Recovery Network, we believe that psychological care is a key element of substance abuse treatment and should take place alongside addiction treatment and behavioral healthcare. We provide immediate and ongoing care with licensed psych workers at our facilities, and who are a part of each person’s individualized treatment team. We use evidence-based approaches to assess, diagnose, and treat clients, helping them stabilize and then work through mental and behavioral health issues. Our psych staff works collaboratively, as a team, constantly consulting with one another and with the entire client’s treatment team.
Our Different Psychological Services
Psychological evaluations are done to assess patients in terms of diagnosis and treatment needs, using a wide variety of tools for this process. Likewise, we have a number of different treatment services in practice.
Testing, Evaluation, and Diagnosis
Within the first few days of your (or your loved one’s) arrival at Addiction Recovery Network, a team member will do a psychological evaluation, which may include:
- Psychological testing(Bio Psycho Social), in the event that a patient is struggling with these cognitive difficulties. The reason for such an assessment is to determine a client’s capacity to engage in treatment.
- A personality assessment, if necessary, can be used to assist with clarification of personality and mood function in order to enhance the treatment team’s understanding of a patient’s psychological issues. Such assessments also contribute to a patient’s self-understanding to enhance their own participation in treatment.
A possible recommendation for a further psych evaluation will be made in the event that the treatment team believes that a patient has significant medication issues and/or psych difficulties. Through a collaborative process, our staff will use the results of these and/or other evaluations to develop a diagnosis and a treatment plan.
Therapies and Treatments
No one’s addiction, mental, or behavioral health issues are the same and no two treatment plans are alike. Each member of the treatment team does an assessment of the client in order to develop an individualized treatment plan. Some elements of treatment can include:
- Treating psychopharmacological needs . Although we are cautious with medication, our medical/psych staff can prescribe it if necessary.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) this is the basis of our mainframe individual program for each individual client in our care.
- Group psychological therapy . Sometimes a community environment is the most supportive and helpful for an individual. We also offer specialty treatment groups that focus on specific issues, such as anger, trauma, body image, anxiety and depression.
- Biofeedback measures the relationship between physiological activity, such as heart rate, emotions, thoughts, and behavior.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) lays a foundation for people to develop coping skills and work on emotional regulation. DBT is an evidence-based treatment that uses meditation and other treatment modalities within four modules: mindfulness, emotional regulation, distress tolerance, and interpersonal effectiveness.
Addiction Recovery Network uses an integrated approach to treating the whole person. Psychological services are integrated within a client’s overall behavioral health.